Monday, April 2, 2012

Colt's Arrival

Well it's been 3 weeks and I have finally had some time to pull all of my photos together in order to share Colt's arrival. So without further adieu, here it is!


It had been 6 long weeks of bed rest and I had finally given up on Colt coming early. I was continuing with my check-ups every 3 days (getting really tired of all of the ultrasounds every Tuesday and Friday).

On the Tuesday before he arrived, the ultrasound counted my fluid level at 9.2 (which is a really great number considering I had been down to a 4.98 just 3 weeks prior). When talking to my OB (who was leaving on vacation for a week) she said the only reason she would want this baby delivered early was if my fluid went back down to 5.

So when going to the appointment on Friday, March 9th I told myself "Today will just be another check up. No need to bring my packed bag or the camera!" But boy was I wrong. My fluid had dropped again and it was down to a 5.3 - but that isn't what tipped us over the edge. The night before I had horribly itchy hands and feet. I thought nothing of it really but decided while talking to the Perinatologist that I should ask about an anti-itch cream that is safe during pregnancy.

When I mentioned this symptom to him, a look of concern crossed his face. Little did I know that itchy hands and feet could mean something serious - cholestasis. He looked at me and said "We aren't going to test you for this, we are just going to deliver this baby today." I was shocked. For once I wasn't anticipating his arrival - I no longer felt ready.

But I didn't have a choice. They sent me home (since I had eaten breakfast) and I needed to be fasting for at least 8 hours before surgery. Do you know how hard that is for a pregnant woman? Nothing to eat or drink for 8 hours...that was worse than the anticipation of Colt's arrival. But I survived!

At 2:00 pm,  Mimi and Papa came over to take care of Wy-man while Daddy and I headed up to the hospital to get checked in.

Mimi did the honors and took our last photo as a family of three! (37 weeks 2 days pregnant)

We got all checked in and prepped for surgery. By 4:24 pm, Colt Michael Davidson was born!

He still qualified as a pre-term infant, so the NICU staff was there ready to assess him. He was looking good so Daddy got to cut his cord. (Daddy didn't get to cut Wy-man's cord for some reason...but we can't remember why.)

Colt weighed in at a tiny 5 lbs. 11 oz - and I think this photo is priceless!

After Colt passed all of this tests, Daddy was able to hold him. (My arms were still strapped to the table at this point, so all I could do was look at him from afar.) But then I was finally able to embrace my beautiful son, and immediately I loved him more than words could describe!

Before they wheeled us back to recovery, a nurse was sweet enough to snap a family photo!

We were in the recovery room for a couple hours and were then taken to our room where we would complete our stay. Finally, after 4 hours of waiting, Wy-man was able to meet his Porkchop! (Please excuse the double chin in all of the photos!)

Unfortunately, Wy-man had some type of cold so the entire time we were in the hospital, he had to have a mask on his face. But as a 3 1/2 year old, he really did quite well!

It was such a wonderful feeling to be cuddling both of my boys! (And it's still weird at times to say "boys" plural!)  

We then snapped our first family photo. It isn't perfect, but it totally tells the story of our very long day! :)

Then the big moment came...Wy-man asked to hold Porkchop.  It wasn't something I wanted to force upon him - we wanted it to be Wy-man's idea. So with assistance from Papa and little help from mama (I didn't have much strength), he was able to hold his lil' bro. It didn't last long because Wy-man "needed a rest," but it was sweet while it lasted.

Mimi and Papa both waited patiently until Wy-man was done. Then they were able to snuggle with their fifth grandbaby! And they said it was just as special as holding their first!

By this time it was getting late so Mimi and Papa took Wy-man for a sleepover  at their house, so Daddy could stay in the hospital with me. And it was a good thing he did because the first night was REALLY rough for me. I will spare you the details, but three different pain meds and 12 hours later, I was finally able to feel half way decent.

Just in time for my a few of my best girlfriends to show up!

It was great to see their smiling faces. It brought even more happiness to the already wonderful occasion.

Wy-man then came back to visit and propped himself in his special corner to play for a while.

He then headed home for a nap, but the family came back to visit for the evening.

We had even more cuddle time and Wy-man loved hanging out in the bed with us. We practically had to pry him out of bed when I needed to rest.

We did have to be careful when Colt was in the room because of Mimi and Wy-man's cold. But they were such troopers always wearing their masks. (Even though it makes for some goofy photos!) ;-)


Our third day in the hospital a photographer friend of mine was so sweet and captured some great moments with Colt. It was such a wonderful experience for me - one I will never forget. (If you are expecting a baby, or plan to have one in the future, I highly recommend having this done. I am so glad we did!)

After the photos were over, we had a laid back afternoon. Wy-man changed into his comfy pj's to be like mama and he even volunteered to help change Colt's diaper.

Then it was time for a family nap...I can't believe all four of us were able to all sleep at the same time. And it hasn't happened since.

Colt and I took advantage of some "kangaroo care" (skin to skin contact), which is by far my most favorite time spent with him. Don't you just love when a sweet baby curls up like that?!

Finally Monday arrived and we were ready to be discharged.

Wy-man arrived at the hospital in his Big Brother shirt and couldn't wait to bring Porkchop home. (And I was so proud of Daddy for remembering to dress him in his special shirt!)

Wy-man was so patient as I completed all of our discharge paperwork, so he took advantage of the time by holding his lil' brother - this mama was so proud of him!

It was a little after noon and the time had finally come. We were headed home!

Porkchop was all snuggled in, ready to breathe the fresh air outside. It was nearly 70 degrees which is unheard of for March weather in South Dakota...but it was perfect weather to bring home our newest addition.

This experience has been life changing and we are loving every minute of it! I am sorry this post is three weeks late...but better late than never, right?!

Thanks for hanging in until the end of this lengthy post. Hope you enjoyed all of our photos. They are memories we will never forget!

No comments:

Post a Comment