Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Life After A C-Section

It's hard to believe it's been two full weeks since coming home from the hospital - and let me tell you, recovering from a c-section is no joke. Yes, I didn't go through labor pains (well I guess I did since I was in pre-term labor at 32 weeks), but not to the full extent other women go through.

So while I didn't have a long, drawn out labor, I did have my stomach sliced open, my ab muscles cut through and a baby pulled out of a 4 inch incision. This time around I felt so much more of the delivery since my spinal didn't 'take' from the belly button up...but I was bound and determined to be awake and witness this baby's arrival that I wasn't about to let my non-numbness have the docs put me under. I wouldn't change my decision because hearing his first cry was priceless, but as a result I sure could feel them tugging, twisting, contorting my stomach region in all different ways. (All things I didn't feel when they delivered Wy-man).


I have always prided myself on maintaining my core, but you take it all for granted when you have no muscle left. Sitting up, couching, sneezing, laying down, rolling over...you name it, they all use your ab muscles - and I have NONE left.

With this baby I decided I was going to try something different than I did with Wy-man, so for two weeks now this has been my bed!!
I've become very fond on our lovely couch. It allowed me to sleep at an incline, kept me from rolling over and actually was pretty darn comfortable.

I kept Colt (a.k.a Porkchop - a name lovingly created by Wy-man when he was a wee 4 months in utero) a foot and a half away from the couch where he rested peacefully in his nap nanny (best investment EVER)!

It's been a perfect setup.


While the road to recovery (and loosing the last bit of pooch I still have) will be a long one, with many sets of sit-ups in store, the past two weeks on the couch have done great things for this mama. But, I would be lying if I said it didn't have a lot to do with this wonderfully sweet and very content baby.

He hardly fusses (I think yesterday was the fussiest he has been and it was because of a little gas), and sleeps amazingly well. (I hope I am not jinxing by sharing it with all of you.) Case and point - last night we went to bed at 10:30, he slept until 3:15 before needing to eat, was back to sleep by 3:45 and not up again until 8:00 am.

WHAT?! He's only two weeks old and sleeping this well - mama was shocked yet super excited at the same time. Too bad this mama wasn't able to go back to sleep last night, so I have been up since 3:15 this morning while he slept peacefully.

Needless to say, today has been a lazy day for Porkchop and me. I decided to make the most of it and snap some photos of this handsome man.
How can I not enjoy spending my day, no matter how tired, when I get to spend it with this beautiful being?!

But tonight I am making some changes. I am going to say GOOD BYE to my temporary residence and rejoin my hubby in our comfy bed. Hopefully that will take care of my sleeplessness.

And if it doesn't, I will continue to thank my lucky stars for this wonderful new life in our family - and be glad I am on maternity leave in case I need a nap!
Here's to our lazy day!!

No comments:

Post a Comment