Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Back to Reality...

It's been a week and a half since Colt's arrival and I am finally coming back down to reality. And, I am settling into my new role as wife and mom of two quite well. (It helps that Colt is a really good baby so far!) While I am still on pain meds and unable to drive, I can at least get up and move around the house, go outside and even run errands.

So today, Mimi, Porkchop and I ventured out to watch Wy-man's swimming lessons. It felt great to be living 'normal' life again. But, I would be lying if I said I didn't have any hesitations about Wy-man and these swimming lessons he was taking through his daycare.

You see...my mom, sister and I taught swimming lessons for 15+ years as I was growing up in Joplin - everyone wanted to attend Wendy's Swim School. So between Mama, Mimi and Aunt Ashley's swim lessons since he was born, Wy-man has become a pretty good swimmer. Why send him to other swimming lessons when he has learned from the best (I know that I am biased)? :)

Well...it's because I couldn't stand to be the mom that didn't allow her child go swimming. I couldn't stand it for him to be the one back at daycare crying while all other kids got to put on their swimsuits and head to the "field trip bus" to go to the pool. So, I had to put my feelings aside and know that there might be some habits that he is taught at his swimming lessons (that I wouldn't necessarily teach), but I kept reminding myself that it's not about me - it's about a fun experience for Wy-man and being with his classmates.

Needless to say, I caved and I am glad I did. When Mimi and I went to watch today, we saw joy in him that was priceless. And although he started out shy (didn't want to blow his bubbles), but the end (and after a gentle reminder from Mimi that he needs to put his face in to show his teacher he could swim), he was paddling and kicking just like we had taught him!
Yes, there may be some small technical things we will need to 'reteach' him but that is okay. Because watching him have fun and seeing the sparkle in his eyes that we were there to watch him was well worth it. Even Mimi and Porkchop thought so too!
But...Wy-man couldn't end the morning without asking for a photo with his favorite teacher, Brittney.

PS- I know I am SO far behind on posting about Colt's birth, but I promise to do so very soon. I am often thinking about Colt lately, so I wanted to focus on Wy-man today. Come back soon for a complete update on the birth of Porkchop! And hopefully I will have more time in the coming months to make more frequent updates. :)

OH, and don't forget to check out my new rotating blog header! Thank you Amie Hansen for creating this great visual for my blog!

No comments:

Post a Comment